After a successful career in small business, I changed direction towards a profession, which would satisfy a lifelong interest in nutrition; the impact of what we eat on our state of wellness.
After graduating with a first-class degree in Human Nutrition, I completed a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
I am NHS trained in motivational interviewing, and, have conducted focus groups and community workshops.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition
- MSc Nutrition for Global Health
- UKVRN registrant with Association for Nutrition
- Member of the Nutrition Society
- Associate of Public Health Action Support Trust (PHAST)
My work includes
Academic research into food insecurity
Public Health Nutrition undertaking projects and interim roles with numerous local authorities on subjects including:
- Child weight management,
- Maternal healthy weight pathway,
- Healthy start promotion,
- Early Years nutrition,
- Food Growing,
- Breastfeeding support interventions,
- Food insecurity community workshops
Other (non-nutrition related) public health projects undertaken include: Smoking cessation and Problem gambling support interventions
In addition to public health projects I work with individuals and small groups to support healthy eating for children, adolescents, adults and older individuals
- Feeding babies and toddlers
- Managing faddy eating
- Guidance on providing a balanced diet for children under 5
- Preventing and management of overweight & obesity in children
- Weight management for adults
- Recommendations for diabetes prevention in adults
- Supporting people to identify and achieve health behaviour goals including improved eating habits, increased physical activity levels, reductions in sedentary behaviour
- Understanding food labels
- Healthy cooking strategies
"I have always found CSN Health and Nutrition a very effective business partner. Operating at both strategic and operational levels they have contributed strongly to our project development, delivery and assessment. They are able to locate individual projects within wider strategic contexts and always bring insightful and creative ideas to their work."
Director of Quality Improvement Early Years Alliance
"It’s rare that you come across great facilitators like Barbara who go all out to ensure your event / project is a success. I had the pleasure of working with Barbara in 2018 to develop Food poverty action plan for London Borough of Waltham Forest. Barbara supported in planning stakeholders events including identification of stakeholders. she is an excellent facilitator engaging stakeholders throughout the event. She made sure event reports were produced on time and contributed to the final report. Barbara is a true asset, I highly recommend her."
Senior Public Health Strategist London Borough of Waltham Forest
"Barbara has been a highly valued member of the ABSS team since January 2017, providing specialist public health nutrition advice, guiding our diet and nutrition programme through from service design to implementation. Barbara has a wealth of knowledge and expertise but applies it with great sensitivity, building the confidence and skills of the teams she works with, be they health, education, special care professionals or voluntary groups and service users. I can highly recommend the services and support provided by CSN Health and Nutrition."
Director A Better Start Southend